Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dilemma...

Back in January Jasmyn had a series of tests done to try and figure out what was causing her to have migraines. They didn't find any cause. She will just be a person who suffers with migraines. We have accepted this and moved on...until recently. We had found a medicine that actually made her migraines tolerable. The doctor had been giving us samples of this medicine. Since school was about to start I had to actually get a prescription filled so that she could take her medicine at school. I went to the store to pick up her prescription only to find out that insurance won't cover it. They say that this medicine should only be used as a last resort. They will only cover it after we have tried other, less potent medicines. So the doctor was informed and we received a different prescription. Friday, Jasmyn ended up with one of her really bad migraines that made her nauseous and not able to function. She had took her new prescription and it was absolutely no help. So, home from school she went. I am at an indecisive point right now. I know that the school requires a prescription to be in a prescription bottle with the child's name on it, but right now I am really wanting to just send her to school with the samples in her book-bag so they are available to her, but then we run into the chance of getting in trouble. I would purchase the prescription but without insurance covering the cost, it would be way out of our price range at the moment. What am I to do? I don't want her to miss a day of school every week or two because of these. I also don't like seeing her in that much pain. No parent should have to watch their child suffer so.

1 comment:

Connie Lawless said...

Charlie, contact the company that makes the medication. Explain the problem to them. They should have a program to help the under insuraned/uninsuraned. Talk to your doctor some more and your pharamist.....mayby they can give you a bottle with a label. Your daughter shouldn't have to suffer.